So I need to preface this post by mentioning it is not advisable to eat 15 apricots when cooking this recipe and then proceed to eat even more in the dish AND THEN to pick out the remaining apricots from the leftovers. This will leave you with a food baby to rival a second trimester pregnancy with extremely uncomfortable gas and bloating at work then aaallll throughout your weightlifting class, basically ZERO FUN. So, if you’re like me, go steady on the apricots.
Aside from the apricot overload, this dish is actually a really light and simple dinner! It’s a tagine of sorts, but I think to call it that you have to cook it in the type of earthenware pot it was named after (the official tagine association says so..I swear) so this is a take on the typical Moroccan dish. It feeds two hungry people (could stretch to three lunch prep meals) but double up as required.
For the Tagine:
500g chicken breast cut into strips
400g tin chopped tomatoes
200g fresh tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
150g dried apricots, cut into chunks
50g black olives
1 onion, sliced
1 red chilli, sliced
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp ras el hanout
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Juice of half a lemon
Zest of half a lemon
Salt to season
For the Yoghurt:
200ml unsweetened coconut yoghurt
1 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed
- Start by coating the chicken strips in lemon juice, zest, cumin and ras el hanout then set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions and fry on a medium head for a few minutes.
- Add the chilli and garlic and continue to cook for 5 more minutes until cooked fully.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side to seal the meat then add the fresh tomatoes, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes and simmer for 20-25 minutes on a low heat until cooked through.
- About five minutes before the end add the parsley, salt, olives and apricots.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking prep the dip by combining all the ingredients with the coconut yoghurt and stir thoroughly until mixed completely.