Ok ok I know I say this about every energy bite recipe that I create but THESE are the best. So far. It’s an ever-evolving labour of love this energy bite game. This recipe was originally inspired by the chocolate, orange and cardamom cake that Candice baked on the Great British Bake Off in 2016. My friend Carol (trusty weightlifting partner and just generally my ‘all things gains’ girl) baked it around Christmas time and I just had to recreate these flavours but a little more Paleo friendly.
I mean.. I’m all for indulging and devouring GBBO creations, however, I need to draw a line somewhere and it’s usually when I’m struggling to button up my jeans. SO, I decided to create these raw energy bites as little Christmas favours for my friends. Ya know, just imposing the clean eating lifestyle on everyone around me (honestly, they love it). Over time I’ve tried to simplify the ingredients and steps in these recipes so they are easier, cheaper and faster to make (seriously, less than ten minutes start to finish). These ones also don’t contain water so they last a little longer than previous recipes I’ve posted on here. In all honesty, I don’t expect them to last that long though – they really are my favourite!
3 tbsp raw cacao
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp orange essence (can use grated orange zest instead)
5 cardamom pods
- Place almonds in a blender and blitz until they turn into a fine powder.
- Then add the dates, coconut oil and almond butter and blend together.
- Split the cardamom pods and shell out the seeds then place in a mortar and pestle and grind into a fine powder.
- Mix in the raw cacao with the cardamom and add the orange essence, stir into a paste.
- Add this paste to the blender and blitz again for around 30 seconds until fully mixed then roll into balls.
- Refrigerate for about 10-20 minutes before serving to allow to set. (feel free to lick the batter off every spoon, bowl and kitchen appliance that you used in the mixing process)